The Hon. Ryan Smith MP
Minister for Environment and Climate Change
Minister for Youth Affairs
See the Victorian Government Media Centre.
Contact details for Minister Smith can be found on the State Parliament website.
The Minister's direction for Victoria
As the Minister for Environment and Climate Change, Ryan Smith is responsible for action to effectively manage and protect Victoria's natural environment.
Ryan's focus is on building greater community engagement and supporting local communities with practical measures.
His key portfolio areas of responsibility include:
- bushfire prevention through the planned burning program
- driving new investment in waste and recycling programs
- management of public land, biodiversity and natural resources
- protection and conservation of Victoria's parks and wildlife
- supporting local climate change and energy efficiency initiatives.
These responsibilities are administered by key agencies:
- Catchment Management Authorities
- Commissioner for Environmental Sustainability
- Department of Environment and Primary Industries
- Environment Protection Authority Victoria
- Landcare Victoria
- Parks Victoria
- Sustainability Victoria
- Zoos Victoria.
Ryan was appointed Minister for Environment and Climate Change and Minister for Youth Affairs on 3 December 2010.
Before entering Parliament, Ryan's career spanned 18 years in the financial markets, working for a number of Australia's leading institutions including the Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank, BP Finance and Pacific Dunlop.
In 2006, he was elected the Member for Warrandyte, located in Melbourne's eastern suburbs. A passionate representative for his local community, Ryan represents the suburbs of Croydon Hills, Croydon North, Park Orchards, Ringwood, Ringwood North, Warrandyte, Warranwood and parts of Donvale.
In 2008, he was appointed the Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Environment & Arts and in 2009 he was promoted to the Shadow Cabinet as the Shadow Minister for Industrial Relations and Manufacturing.
News from the Minister
Ryan's ministerial media releases can be viewed on the Victorian Government Media Centre.