Animal health and welfare
- DEDJTR's role in animal welfare
- Legislation and regulation
- Animal health
- Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines
- Interstate Livestock Movements
- Beef Health and Welfare
- We are Family Program
- Responsible Pet Ownership website for schools
- Responsible Pet Ownership community website
Specific animal information
To report any Emergency Animal Diseases Hotline 1800 675 888 (All Hours)
Investigation into animal welfare and cruelty in the greyhound industry
Terms of Reference
The Chief Veterinary Officer will lead an investigation into animal welfare and cruelty in the greyhound industry in Victoria. The investigation will be carried out in conjunction with Greyhound Racing Victoria. Recommendations will be provided to the Minister for Agriculture and the Minister for Racing for consideration no later than 30 April 2015.
This investigation will include:
- A review of the current industry codes and standards to protect the welfare of animals in the greyhound racing industry;
- A review of the animal welfare governance systems and compliance and enforcement strategies to ensure compliance in the greyhound racing industry; and
- Recommendations on how animal welfare standards, governance and compliance could be improved.
A report on greyhound industry governance and compliance with animal welfare legislation, standards and codes and identification of opportunities for improvement.
Dr Charles Milne, Chief Veterinary Officer