Victorian Bushfire Information Line
The Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) provides information about significant bushfires, bushfire risk, planned burning and related matters.
How to contact VBIL
- by calling 1800 240 667
- by contacting the National Relay Service – if you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment
- by contacting the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450
When to contact VBIL
- by phone between 8 am and 6 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays)
- by phone at other times and days – during and after significant bushfires
- for recorded information on specific topics – at any time.
To report a fire, at any time, call the emergency services number Triple Zero (000).
What VBIL can help with
- warnings, bushfires and incidents
- whether smoke is coming from a bushfire or planned burn
- current fire danger ratings – and what they mean
- total fire bans and fire restrictions – what you can and can't do.
You can also call VBIL to find out about:
- preparing and planning for bushfire
- planned burns
- bushfire safety
- bushfire management on public land
- community meeting information
- emergency relief centre location details
- Neighbourhood Safer Place location details
- financial assistance after a bushfire, fences and control lines, and essential water
- annual DEPI fire planning and community consultation.