Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
Three important steps in making sure that the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning's (DELWP's) work benefits communities and biodiversity are monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER).
MER allows land managers to quantify the efficiency and effectiveness of their management strategies. This allows DELWP to report on management outcomes to the government and community.
MER supports continuous improvement through evidence-based decision making. This is a key component of a more strategic and outcomes-focused approach to bushfire management.
DELWP continues to work with Parks Victoria and research institutions (such as the Arthur Rylah Institute and universities) to review and monitor progress. This is being done through a state-wide fire monitoring program.
DELWP has prepared a framework to provide guidance on how to monitor, evaluate and report on the effectiveness of the planned burn program. Effectiveness is measured against the primary objectives for bushfire management in the Code of practice for bushfire management on public land.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Framework for Bushfire Management on Public Land
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Framework for Bushfire Management on Public Land - Appendix 1
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Framework for Bushfire Management on Public Land - Appendix 2
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Framework for Bushfire Management on Public Land (includes Appendix 1 and Appendix 2) (accessible version)
Learnings from evaluation will be used to improve how bushfire management is used to:
- reduce the impact of major bushfires and to maintain or improve ecological resilience
- refine and test management models used to support decision making, and
- improve bushfire management planning, strategies and actions.
Findings from monitoring and evaluation are communicated through reports such as the annual Fuel management report, to inform government, partner agencies and the community about the outputs and outcomes of bushfire management.
Fuel management reports
DELWP's achievements in fuel management during a financial year are described in the annual Fuel management report. The report provides a statewide overview of performance as well information on each of the DELWP regions.
An overview of the performance from the past two years is shown in the factsheet below:
Details of the performance of DELWP's fuel management program are shown in the reports below.
2013–14 Fuel management report:
2012–13 Fuel management report: