Victorian Environmental Water Holder
The Victorian Environmental Water Holder (VEWH) was established in July 2011 and is the independent statutory body responsible for holding and managing Victoria's environmental water entitlements (the Water Holdings).
In doing so, the VEWH helps to protect the environmental values of Victoria's rivers, wetlands and floodplains.
The VEWH works with catchment management authorities and Melbourne Water (waterway managers) to ensure environmental water entitlements are used to achieve the best environmental outcome with the water that is available.
The main responsibilities of the VEWH include:
- making decisions on the most effective use of the Water Holdings, including use, trade and carryover
- authorising waterway managers to implement watering decisions
- liaising with other water holders to ensure coordinated use of all sources of environmental water
- publicly communicating environmental watering decisions and outcomes.
- commissioning targeted projects to demonstrate ecological outcomes of environmental watering at key sites.
For more information, please visit the Victorian Environmental Water Holder website.